Tuesday, January 11, 2011

5 % Income to society and charity

Problem : I started practicing the 6 Jars financial management 2 mths ago. But I have yet to make up my mind where the money goes. I thought of MINDS first, i always believe in the power of mind. It can help us do wonders ie invention of electricity, planes, medical technology etc. But the people who are intellectually disabled, their choice or power to think properly are taken away permanently. Last Saturday, i went for the monthly voluntarily art & craft session with singapore children society. First time we got a child from MINDS, and i was assigned to take care of him, name : mike(not he's real name). He's unable to speak and likes to clap his hands. I was kinda of lost initially how do i go about teaching him ? How do I balance the attention between him and other children in my group ? It started well initially, one of boy actually partner him and take pretty good care of him. He taught mike how to count the ang bao packets needed. how to fold etc. I was amazed. After awhile, mike start to lose interest and started grabbing the scissors and staple which i kept keeping him away from those. I cant manage both him and the rest of the children at the same time as request for help. Help came and i was 1 on 1 with mike. I tried to teach him on the steps but when we complete the base of the lantern, he suddenly smashed it and tore off the base. I was like ........ a little pissed off why he do that ! but calm myself almost immediately he might not have any idea what's going on. I cant imagine what his families member are going through.

Research : 
Society for physically disabled - http://www.spd.org.sg/

Movement for the intellectually disabled of singapore - http://www.minds.org.sg

Sam's Experience : 
These organisation all seem profitable(or rather having excess) in their financial reports. I think largely contributed by government grant. I was pretty reluctant to contribute after seeing their financial reports. But if everyone have that thoughts how are they going to maintenance the daily operating cost and program/workshop cost and the space etc. Thus I made my first $50 contribution to society for phyiscally disabled. Waiting for the MINDS to get back to me on online contribution methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...