Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Family Story Part 1

Had a pretty interesting conversation with dad today at the TTSH, Tan Tock Sing hospital food court. It all started off when I asked him out of all the siblings he had, who has the closest bond with him.

He and third Uncle, I address him as 'shu shu', their routine schedule to watch open air movies whenever dad is back home. Dad stop schooling after he's primary 6 and started working for in some British clubs in singapore way back in 1968. He went in as a helper in the kitchen by the recommendation of neighbour. Before that my second uncle, I address him as 'li bei' was in the same club doing a helper job. My eldest uncle, I address him as 'ah bei' was helping out at a Indian store and later went into sembawang shipyard

All my uncles started working at a very young age? WHY? Life was tough for my granny, ( it was time when Singapore was force to become independent ) my grandpa had died from fall during his work. And my granny had to take care of 7 kids in total, 5 males and 2 females all by her own. Put yourself in her position, suffer the lost of her most important person, lost the financial support for the family, need to take care of well being of 7 kids, How would you react?

She gonna work from early morning till late in the evening and do all the cooking and washing. Being the eldest son, 'ah bei' took the responsibilities to take care of his siblings when granny was out to work. My dad was telling me that siblings were so afraid of 'ah bei' when went home late. Will dig more content from dad again.

And got to know the hidden potential of 'shu shu' !!! OMG FIGHTER!! He would get into fights easily especially with my grandpa's brother's wife's ('sa jin bo') kid, 'wan di' and always won. Thereafter a good canning treat from granny. 'Shu shu' is kinda of playful type from his actions, eg disturbing people, stealing eggs. Oh that unfair old man, my dad's grandpa.

My granny and family use to be staying with my grandpa's father after my grandpa deaths. But somehow, was not being fair or rather always side 'sa jin bo' and her kids. Granny would always remind 'shu shu' saying that, 'they got backing, how many times must I tell you not to fight with them' while canning hard on 'shu shu'

There was this major incident when the fight between 'shu shu' and 'wan di' started again. And the result, 'wan di' crying again. Here's come the angry old man, (my grandpa's father) wanting to hit 'shu shu' with a pipe, seeing that 'ah bei' took up a stick and protect 'shu shu'. From dad's account, 'ah bei' was a very mature and understanding boy, it must been life threatening and all the compressed suffering and unfair treatment hitting the threshold that caused his reflexes to go against him. And 'ah bei' did not greet that old man after that incident.

Granny being so troubled with the her family basic needs. Not only my grandpa's father did not lend a helping hand, he added granny's suffering too. In the end, granny and my uncles and aunties moved out to the new kampong house which I stayed before( only remember the smelly little farm, the VERY old days monkey king god show, the river which we caught tadpoles, durian trees and lucky, our doggie)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...